Well to begin, we had his neurology visit today. It went really well. The Dr. doesn't believe that Carter's issues are neurological. Which is a huge answer to prayer. She reminded us that "crawling is a 9 month ability", which we explained to her that we weren't the only ones concerned and that his pediatrician was also concerned and was the one that referred us in the first place. But anyways, he is standing more lately but not really wanting to move much. She was concerned enough to send us to a physical therapist to get evaluated, since he doesn't a reflex that is needed to crawl. He won't push himself up to sitting and catch himself when he falls side ways. She feels that this could be because of his low apgar score and large birth weight. And mentioned that he may have a harder time meeting his physical milestones.
She also gave us options on imaging that could be done to rule out any neuro issues but it would require Carter to be put under and she suggested us to wait until the 12 month visit. If he isn't crawling by then, we will go ahead and order them. Jeremy and I didn't feel comforted getting those tests done yet either, I definitely didn't want to put him under if it isn't absolutely necessary. She did even mention that if there was something found, nothing could really be done about it to "fix" the problem. It would just give us an opportunity to plan on the future with how to help him. So we decided to wait until 12 months.
Another test that was done, they took 2 viles of blood to make sure his thyroid is functioning properly and some other factors that, I admit, went over my head. But there are several items that can be causing his delay based on his blood work. So we anxiously await the results.
So, all in all, a good visit. Onto what other things have been happening the last couple of months.
- His first tooth came last month and he is currently working on 2 more.
- He is starting to feed himself - puffs and yogurt bites are his faves right now.
- He is obsessed with clapping (which he has been doing since about 6 months), but it seems as if he understand that clapping happens when people are happy, because he will get excited about something and start to clap. It is absolutely the cutest thing.
- He is starting to wave.
- Loves to talk. He is constantly babbling. Especially in the car. He will not sleep in the car if he can help it, so that he can talk the whole time. Him and Evan love to play in the back seat. One with laugh which causes the other to laugh and the cycle goes on and on. I love it!! It reminds me why I had them so close together.
- He favorite focal point is Maya. He sees her and meows at her. Loves to grab her hair and nuzzle with her. (Not good for the shedding and hands)
- He loves games. Any games that has interaction with another person, he is a willing participant.
- He plays "peek a boo" with us. He will cover up his head with his arms or a blanket and we will say "Where's Carter?" and he will drop what is covering is face and laugh! He has been doing this for a few months also.
- Him and Evan has this thing going on with crib time - every morning and after naps, Evan insists on getting in Carter's bed or vice versa and they hang out and play with each other! Another reason to have them so close in age.
Those are a few highlights. Here are some new pics. [nggallery id=4]