Okay, so over the weekend, I spent some time planning my attack on the bulge. I am officially starting my new diet lifestyle today. I really spent some time evaluating what was realistic of me as a mom and wife and what I wanted to accomplish. This is what I came up with:
- I need to find a healthy meal plan that I can eat along with my family, because it is not realistic within our grocery budget to be buying food for myself and buying food for the rest of the crew. So I spent some time this weekend looking for recipes that were "healthified" but still would keep my 3 men happy! I think I found some good ones!! Being this my first week, I will see how it goes and re-evaluate next weekend of pros and cons of this week's meal plan.
- I don't want to "diet"! I want to be able to eat tasty meals but without the extras. So I have decided at least for the next few weeks that I need to break my addiction to sweets. I truly feel that I am addicted to cakes, cookies and pastries. And this really is my down fall. So I am taking all sweets out of my diet, at least until I feel that I can eat a dessert in moderation instead of eating the whole cake!!
- I can't starve myself, like I used to. Before kids, I could be extremely strict with my caloric intake. But I just can't do it now. Those boys wear me out without dieting, but if you add the stress of a extremely low calorie diet, I physically get sick. My body rebels. So this week I am going to try to stay around 15oo calories per day. I will reevaluate as I go along. This may work for me, or it may not. We will see!
- After agonizing for almost a week on how to fit in my exercise routine, I finally decided that the boys would have to go to the gym with me and hang out at the nursery! This really killed me! I have NEVER had any one watch my kids that weren't family or very close friends (except for the church nursery). I know many people who don't think it's that big of a deal to drop their kids off and many don't have a choose because they don't have a sitter, to each their own. But this was a really tough decision for me to make... BUT THEN...my mom pulled through as she always does and suggested that I ask my dad to come over during the boys' nap time and that would free me up to run to the gym without having to drag them along. And my dad agreed as long as the "barbarians" stay asleep until I get home :-). I live a block away from my gym and my parents live 8 minutes from me, so this is an ideal arrangement! So we have planned to have him come over Monday, Wednesday and Fridays. THANKS DAD!!
- I bought myself a Fitness/Food journal to track my progress. I wasn't really looking for one, but I happened to walk by one that caught my eye and was super cute, so I splurged and bought it!
- I am putting away the computer at night and going to bed. How does that fit into my well-being plan? I need to focus on getting enough sleep, because I DRAG during the day. Partially due to my unhealthy diet but also the fact that I am not getting adequate sleep. And now that I will be working out during the boys' nap time - that eats into my blogging/computer time and I know that I will want to catch up on that during the evening hours. So I am making it a point NOT to even go there.
That's what I got so far. There will possibly be some tweaking as the weeks go by, but it's a start. A very planned out start, since I did spend several hours at Caribou Coffee this weekend so I could think without being interrupted by the boys!
Thanks for all the feedback from my original post and I can't wait for you to take this journey with me!