I had just finished up my first set of "real" cupcakes for Jenny's shower, so I was completely intrigued by David and his cupcakes! Ummm, hello, Jeremy's mouth was salivating while we looked at David's cupcake list. If you have a man in your life, who loves cake, you need to go check out Butch Bakery to see the variety that David whips up!
The webinar was to showcase the Breville Stand Mixer and the Breville Smart Oven, and of course, David's cupcakes ;-)! I was in ah as David whipped up a batch of cupcakes with the Stand Mixer then baked them in the Smart Oven. How cool is that?
Let's just cut to the chase, shall we?
I fell in love with the stand mixer immediately. Let me tell you why. Here are a few things that stood out to me during the webinar:
- 2 words: Scraper Beater. Okay just so you know, I have a Kitchen Aid. My biggest complaint when making my cakes and icings is that I have to constantly scrape the sides of the bowls. Now granted, I didn't realize before, that there was such a thing as a scraper beater and that you can order one as an attachment for your Kitchen Aid. So when I saw the Breville's scraper beater, I literally flipped out of my chair. Okay, maybe I didn't literally flip out of my chair, but I did squeal a little bit! SERIOUSLY! And it COMES with the mixer, so NO special ordering.
- The whisk is wider and is designed to beat more air into icings, like butter creams, making the frostings and icings for your sweets more fluffier and creamier.
- The stand mixer has a timer built in. My go-to cake needs to be mixed for 3 minutes. So I usually starting mixing, then head over to the oven and set the timer, then head back over to the mixer and scrape during the 3 minutes ;-)! Oh no, no, no, not with the Breville, you set the timer and use your scraper beater, and in 3 minutes (or whatever you need it for up to 9 minutes and 59 seconds), the timer goes off and the blender shuts down. And while you are waiting you can sit back and relax, have a drink, play a quick game with the kiddos who are hanging on your legs because you are tying to bake, or just sit and take a breather!
- The Smart Oven, is not just for toasting, as I assumed. You can bake cookies, cupcakes and even roasts in it!! How awesome is that?
- It has a convection option. I have been longing for a convection oven in my kitchen. This is the next best thing!
Those are just a few things that stood out to me, while longingly listening and watching David use the Breville Stand Mixer and the Smart Oven. So you can imagine my ecstatic response, when he told everyone that was participating that we would be getting one of each, for ourselves to try out!!!!! I think then I really did flip out of my chair. SERIOUSLY!
So, I anxiously waited by my front door, watching for the FEDEX guy to deliver my Breville Stand Mixer and Smart Oven, each and every day. I had many Christmas goodies to bake and I couldn't wait to try out my new toys!
Unfortunately, I didn't get my toys in time for the large batch of Christmas cookies that I signed up to bake for Evan's school or for the last cake I did. But because Evan's school was cancelled due to snow, I sent the cookies that I did for his classmates to work with Jeremy, which gave me an excuse to whip up another batch for E's classmates.
*Sidenote* When the packages arrived, Jeremy immediately started surveying the packaging. You know, I don't really care what packaging looks like, but since I am married to a designer, I am used to *pretending* that I care! HA! And since Jeremy does do package design, he was scrutinizing each detail and very quickly pulled out his phone to take a picture and tweet how impressed he was with the packaging.
Let me just tell you that my Breville Stand Mixer did not disappoint. It was everything that David described.
- I DID NOT have to use a spatula, AT ALL when making my sugar cookies and royal icing!! That is HUGE for me. It is so hard to capture that with a photo, but I tried. Notice the sides of the bowl. It looks like I used a spatula. But I didn't. Sqeeee!
- The whisk attachment doubled my icing recipe. I used my go-to recipe with the same measurements that I always do. And that recipe usually gives me 1/2 a container's worth of icing. I ALWAYS use my Pampered Chef mixing bowl with lid for my icing container. And as you can see, it is filled to the top. It usually only fills up half. AND I didn't have to use a spatula for this either!!! Love the whisk attachment as much as the scraper attachment!
- Awww, and the timer. You can't forget about the timer. I didn't necessarily need the timer with the recipes I was using. But just for the fun of it, I pretended I was making my signature cake and set the timer and left the kitchen. Hung out with my boys for a few moments while they were watching a movie with Jeremy. Once the time went off, I returned to the kitchen to a beautifully mixed bowl of icing.
I am in love!
And the best news...you can be too. Because not only was Breville generous enough to send me one, but I get to give away one Stand Mixer to one of my lucky readers!! Okay, go ahead and squeal, I'll wait a moment to give you the details on how to enter........
Okay, here's how you can enter to win a Breville Stand Mixer:
To enter (mandatory entry):
- Leave me a comment. That's not too difficult is it? Tell me which of your favorite recipes you would love to make using your new Breville Stand Mixer.
- If you are on Facebook, go "Like" Breville on Facebook. Leave them a comment letting them know I sent you ;-) (Cortney from Evan Has Landed). Then come back here and leave a separate comment that you did.
- Post this giveaway on your Facebook page. Then come back here and let me know in a separate comment.
- Follow Breville on Twitter and send them out a tweet! Then leave me a comment letting me know that you did.
- Tweet about this giveaway - Please make sure you have @Cortney_plus2 and @BrevilleUSA in the tweet. Here is an example that you can copy and paste:
- Subscribe to my blog feed via RSS or email and leave a comment letting me know you did or already do.
Please remember to leave a separate comment for each entry. This giveaway will end Friday, December 31st, 2010 at 9:00 p.m. EST. The winner will be selected by random.org.
Disclaimer: This post was inspired by Breville USA, from whom I received a Breville Smart Oven and Breville Stand Mixer, as well as a second Stand Mixer to giveaway to one reader. I was not compensated or encouraged in any way to provide a positive review about the products. All opinions offered in this post are mine.