This week I am making a mobile with the boys. Obviously Evan is making his own and I am "helping" Carter with his. This is what we are doing:
- I cut out geometric shapes out of foam board with an x-acto knife (a triangle, rectangle, square, hexagon and circle)
- The boys are painting each shape. This is a great opportunity to show the boys how to mix the paints to create new colors. Actually Evan remembers the different color mixtures from previous crafts, but it never hurts to review and this is Carter's first exposure to it!
- Once the paint is dried on all the shapes, the boys will be decorating the painted shapes with various stickers, glitter glue, pom poms etc.
- I will then write the name of each shape on each individual shape with a Sharpie.
- Allow each shape to dry thoroughly.
- I will then punch holes in each shape and tie together with string. This will also be a great practice for Evan to string the yarn through the holes (fine motor skills). And hang the mobiles in their rooms.
Evan is super excited about this project. Carter LOVED practicing the different colors! Due to running out of time today we only finished the triangles so no pictures yet. I will post pictures next Tuesday!
I may try this craft later in the winter time but using letters instead of numbers, so that Evan can practice his letter recognition - which he needs.